Deaf and Hard of Hearing
A Page for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Clients and Families
Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH) clients and families deserve comprehensive and equitable access to services, programs, and opportunities. Inland Regional Center (IRC) strives to implement equity and inclusive efforts to reduce communication barriers and disparities in access experienced by many Deaf, Deafblind, and Hard of Hearing people. IRC’s D/HH Cultural Specialist works collaboratively with community service providers to address the various needs of the Deaf Community by ensuring their access to and use of services and supports is effective and satisfactory.
IRC’s goal is to provide outreach, advocacy, and support in collaboration with our community to meet the language and communication needs of the Deaf-Plus consumers in gaining meaningful access to employment, education, and community services.
- Children and adults who are Deaf, Deafblind, and Hard of Hearing are connected to the most effective services, focusing on their natural abilities to become self-advocates to lead independent and enriched lives.
- Families are equipped and empowered with the necessary knowledge, ability, and confidence to help their children achieve their full potentials.
- Service providers are utilizing best and inclusive practices in respect to cultural and communication needs of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing communities.
D/HH Articles and Updates:
Upcoming D/HH Events:
A collection of informational videos and vblogs that may be helpful to you. Stay tuned for more!
VideoAsk: Listening Sessions
Information about IRC's Language and Cultural Initiative Listening Sessions
Title: CFS Fact Sheet in ASL
Information about the Coordinated Family Support (CFS) Services Pilot Program
- Duration: 2:58
- Direct Link to Video
- Read more about Coordinated Family Support
- Fact Sheets (PDF) - English | Spanish | Vietnamese | Tagalog | Arabic | Chinese
Title: NCI In-Person Survey - ASL
Information about the National Core Indicators (NCI) In-Person Survey - ASL
- Duration: 1:51
- Direct Link to Video
Learn what the D/HH Cultural Specialist can do for you
Welcome! This section is designed to help you find up-to-date information and resources.
- California Hands & Voices - A parent-driven organization for families with children who D/HH by providing resources, networks, and information to improve communication access and educational outcomes
- Parent Links - Connects parents of D/HH to other parents of D/HH children
- Café con Pan - Spanish webinar series for families to meet one another
- Deaf Latinos y Families - Provides resources and ASL classes to Latino/a/x families and guide them through the process of adapting the Deaf Culture and ASL into their lives
Welcome! This section is for vendors who want to become Deaf-aware.
If you are a vendor who is currently providing services to Deaf and Hard of Hearing clients or a vendor who want to create services for D/HH clients but are unsure how, please complete the survey. D/HH Cultural Specialist will reach out to you to schedule a consultation visit.
For Community Partners:
Welcome! This section is designed to assist you with resources.
D/HH Cultural Speclialist
IRC's Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (D/HH) Cultural Specialist, Estefania Pena, is a part of IRC’s Community Engagement team where she advocates for clients who are d/Deaf, deafblind, and hard-of-hearing. Estefania supports the expansion of deaf service resources, provides training and expertise to IRC staff, and coordinates with DDS on statewide efforts. She also is a part of Language Access and Cultural Competency (LACC) initiatives to ensure equitable communication access in the regional system.
For more information, please contact:
Estefania Pena, D/HH Cultural Specialist